The Dick Lauder family lived in Grange House which was demolished in 1936. Two pillars each surmounted with a stone wyvern were a feature of the house seen by Walter Scott as a boy. They were preserved and moved to Grange Loan, one at the junction with Lovers Loan and one 100 yards further east on Grange Loan
More information about them is in the Green Book appendix VII. Because these features are deteriorating (one fell off its pillar in the 1980s) we felt a permanent record should be made of them.
There is a report on the site inspection carried out by Historic Scotland in July 2011.