Owen Douglas Price

In loving remembrance of Edmund F. T. Price M.B. C.M. died 27th October 1917; and of his wife Martha McNair died 4th March 1936; and their son Owen Douglas, M.B. Ch.B., Captain R.A.M.C. died 10th December 1918

CWGC: Captain O. D. Price, Royal Army Medical Corps, d. 12 December 1918.  Y 903

Owen Douglas Price was born at 28 Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, on 18 February 1892, the second of three sons of Edmund Frederick Tanney Price (1862-1917) and his wife Martha Georgina McNair (c.1857 -1936), who had married in Edinburgh in 1886.  Edmund Price had been born in India, where his father was a doctor.  He studied medicine at Edinburgh University, graduating in 1884, and worked as a G.P. in Edinburgh. He developed an interest in the then new science of radiography and undertook X-ray work at Chalmers Hospital.  He was a keen member of the City of Edinburgh Volunteers and died suddenly on 27 October 1917 while drilling with them at Corstorphine, probably from heart disease.

All three of Edmund and Martha’s sons were educated at George Watson’s College, where they were active members of the Officers Training Corps, before studying medicine at Edinburgh University.  Edmund George Chambers Price (1889–1952) and Owen Douglas Price graduated in 1913 and 1915 respectively and then joined the R.A.M.C.  Their younger brother, Frederick Noel Ritchie Price (1899-1961), served in the R.N.A.S. / R.A.F. 1917-19, including spending time with the Kite Balloon Section of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, before completing his medical degree and graduating in 1923.  

Edmund served in France, reached the rank of Major, and was mentioned in despatches.  He returned to practice in Edinburgh and continued his father’s connection with X-ray work at Chalmers Hospital. 

Owen served in the Mediterranean, arriving in Egypt in late September 1915, before going to West Africa, 1916-17.  He returned to the U.K. from Sierra Leone at the end of June 1917, three months before his father’s death.  He then served with the 55th Division in France 1917-18.  He caught influenza in a base hospital in France, returned home to Edinburgh and died in Chalmers Hospital on 10 December 1918 from influenza (16 days) and pneumonia (4 days).

University of Edinburgh Roll of the Fallen