Cycle Security – Neighbourhood Watch

Forums Neighbourhood Security Cycle Security – Neighbourhood Watch

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 1 month ago by Mike L. This post has been viewed 222 times
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Membership
    Keymaster

Hi Everyone

As the weather begins to improve more people may be thinking of getting out cycling. We always encourage good cycle security at home and when out and about. To this end I’ve attached our Cycle Security leaflet and information on The Bike Register. 

Police Scotland always recommends security products certified by Secured by Design or Sold Secure – their logos are on the cycle security leaflets, so you can look out for them. I’ve also included a link to a  Sold Secure Diamond rated bike lock which has been tested to withstand attack by angle grinder, a tool sometimes used bike thieves.

Hiplok D1000: Anti-Angle Grinder bike Lock

If you have any questions please contact the Preventions Team at the West End Police Station

preventandintervent@scotland.police.uk 

Thanks

PC Campbell 
      Attachments

Police Scotland Cycle Security leaflet

Bike Registration leaflet

(Personally I have an Abus.)

Mike L
      Participant

I agree that it’s definitely worth buying a high quality lock. It’s not something you should economise on. But, for most of us, the likes of the Hiplock D1000 will be way over the top. These locks usually cost around £250, and they weight around 2 kg.

Still, if you’ve paid a four-figure amount for a top-of-the-range bike, I suppose the cost can be justified.

I also agree having your bike registered. A friend of mine recently had her bike stolen. But the police managed to recover it and trace back to her via the Bike Register scheme.

Mike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.